Thursday, November 14, 2013

English Muffins and Chili: Breakfast and Lunchbox covered!

Dough rolled in a ball and flattened.
After talking to my friend Carol, I decided to try her suggestion to make English Muffins.  Our English Muffin bread has been a favorite in this house for a long time, but actual English Muffins seemed to be too much for me to take on.


I get up early every morning and make breakfast for our current crew of 5 (one is away at college).  This may seem like a lot of work but I find that it is easier to make one breakfast for everyone than it is to clean up 5 different breakfasts from a family that is more than willing to cook in the morning.
Breakfast is served.



So, off I set.  I can throw together a batch of dough in about 2.5 minutes (literally).  I pre-package the dry ingredients ahead of time and I write the recipe in sharpie right onto my bread machine.  I make the dough at night and use my refrigerator as an "arrester" which means the dough rises very slowly over the night.  In the morning I flattened balls of dough and put them in the frying pan.  They tasted pretty darn good too. 
Egg and Chili Sandwiches for lunch!

Andy cooked up some surplus eggs last night (about 18) and I have some chili leftover from a Sunday football game (our own recipe that won first place in the Westminster chili cookoff a few years ago).  These will all be assembled into English Muffin, Chilli and egg sandwiches for lunch.

Done!
Lunch is packed.  Everyone gone and it is only 7:00!

Comments:
It has nooks....  and crannies.

Who else gets homemade English muffins in the morning? ...  The Magees do!

You should make them "this" size -- hands held out bigger than any frying pan I have ever owned.

Are you going to make any extras and bag them up?


We will add this to our breakfast repertoire.  They were easy, turned some leftovers into a treat for lunch and everyone felt enjoyed sitting around the breakfast table with something good to eat!

1 comment:

  1. Lunchbox report: Lunches were packed with Egg and Chili sandwich, cream puffs leftover from last nights XC banquet and fruit. The sandwiches were deemed "good" but not the best they ever had. Tonight I'm making baguettes. Leftover dough is going to "calzone" to use up the rest of the chili.

    ReplyDelete